1 cup plain, unsweetened non dairy milk
1/2 cup vegan butter plus 1 tablespoon, divided, softened (plus more for greasing pan)
1 packet instant yeast (equal to 1/4 ounce, 7 grams or 2 1/4 teaspoons)
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 to 3 cups bread flour
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
Orange Zest Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe below)
1. In a small sauce pan, heat milk and 1/4 cup butter until warm and the butter is melted, but not too hot that you can't touch it with your finger.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add milk mixture and sprinkle yeast on top. Set aside for 5 minutes until yeast begins to foam, then stir in granulated sugar and salt.
3. Add flour 1/2 cup at a time, stirring to incorporate each time. When it is too thick to stir (you might not need all 3 cups flour), transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for 2 to 3 minutes, until a smooth ball forms.
4. Clean mixing bowl, and coat it with light oil, like canola, and place the dough in the bowl, rolling it around to cover it with a thin coating of oil. Cover with a clean towel and set in a warm place to rise until doubled in size, about an hour.
5. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a rectangle about 9 inches by 13 inches.
6. In a small mixing bowl, add 1/4 cup softened butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Whisk to combine, and spread it out on the surface of the dough, leaving a1/2 inch perimeter around the edges.
7. Sprinkle the walnuts evenly on top.
8. Starting from one of the long sides, tightly roll the dough away from you, pinch the seam, and place it on your surface seam-side down. Using a serrated knife, cut the roll into 12 equal rounds.
9. Grease up a 9 inch round casserole or spring form pan with some butter, and place the rolls cut-side down. Melt 1 tablespoon butter and brush on top. Cover with a clean towel, and place somewhere warm to proof for 30 minutes. (If you'd like to make them ahead, instead of proofing them for 30 minutes, cover with plastic, and store in the refrigerator. Be sure to let them get to room temperature, and then proof them for 30 minutes before baking.)
10. Heat oven to 350 F. Bake rolls 30 to 35 minutes until lightly golden browned on top. Top with frosting and serve.
Orange Zest Cream Cheese Frosting
1/4 cup vegan butter, softened
4 ounces vegan cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 to 2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
zest of one orange
1. In a medium mixing bowl, beat together the butter and cream cheese until combined.
2. Gradually add the powdered sugar, beating it into the mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time. Add sugar until your desired sweetness is achieved.
3. Add vanilla and orange zest, and beat until combined. Drizzle over warm cinnamon rolls.