Red Lentil, Sweet Potato, and Hemp Burgers
Makes 8 to 10 burgers
When I first made these burgers, in a class I was teaching, everyone loved the flavor, but also that theywere packed with nutrition. I have to agree that they are mighty tasty, and they are easy to make for aquick weeknight meal. If you do not like curry, season instead with a tablespoon of Salt-Free Spicy Mix,store bought all-purpose seasoning, or your favorite blend; smoked paprika and cumin would work as well.
1 cup minced onion
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
1 cup minced mushrooms, such as shiitake (stems removed) or crimini
1 cup red lentils, rinsed and picked over
1½ sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large pieces (1 medium)
2¼ cups vegetable stock
Vegetable cooking spray, optional
¼ cup hemp seeds
¼ cup finely chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 cup “baby” or quick oats
1 to 4 tablespoons brown rice flour, if needed
1. Heat a stovetop pressure cooker over medium heat or set an electric cooker to sauté. Add the onion,ginger, and mushrooms and dry sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the lentils, sweet potatoes, and stock.
2. Lock on the lid. Bring to high pressure; cook for 6 minutes. Let the pressure come down naturally.Carefully remove the lid, tilting it away from you. Transfer the lentil mixture to a large bowl and letstand until cool enough to handle, at least 15 minutes.
3. Heat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray, ifdesired; or line the sheet with a silicone baking mat.
4. When the lentil mixture is cool, mash it with a potato masher or a fork. Stir in the hemp seeds,parsley, cilantro, and curry powder. Stir in the oats. The mixture should come together and form a thickpaste; if it is too wet, add brown rice flour by the tablespoon, as necessary.
5. With wet hands, form into 8 to 10 patties and place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10minutes. Turn the burgers and bake for another 10 minutes, until they are firm and brown.
6. Let cool for a few minutes. Serve immediately, refrigerate, or freeze for up to 3 month